Baruffaldi has developed a project for the construction of a prototype Industry 4.0 platform solution, to be implemented on its machines. The platform is able to activate a new range of services both for the company and the final customer, such as remote monitoring of the machine, analysis and supervision of production data. In addition, the increasing digitization and interconnection allow the collection of a huge amount of data that can contribute to the optimization of the production lines performance, making it more and more sophisticated and customized.
This project was presented and approved on the Emilia-Romagna Region call for “Innovation and product or service diversification projects for SMEs – 2019” under Action 1.1.2 of the POR FESR 2014-2020.
AIMS AND PURPOSES
The final objectives of the project are:
- Design and implement a system applicable to Baruffaldi’s machines for the safae transmission of machine data according to standard industrial protocols, in order to make them compatible with the most popular Industry 4.0 platforms;
- Design and implement an Industry 4.0 platform designed and optimized for Baruffaldi machines capable of collecting and analyzing data;
- Implement the designed system through a gradual process that allows to reconcile the investment capabilities and the management of the organizational impact resulting from its introduction.
ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS
The activities carried out and the obtained results were the following:
- Analysis of the state of the art of Baruffaldi machines, of the business model and objectives (4.0 services, market, technologies, etc.), identifying an implementation priority;
- Study of the architecture of a modular, flexible and scalable solution starting from the 4.0 service panel;
- Technological scouting to define the technologies (HW / SW on the machine, Industry 4.0 platform, corporate HW / SW infrastructure) capable of implementing this architecture;
- Prototype design capable of implementing the first level 4.0 services identified in the panel and allowing the subsequent gradual implementation of the remaining services;
- Identification of the most suitable Baruffaldi machine for the realization of the prototype;
- Creation of the machine side section of the platform (PLC configuration, HW integration on the machine, implementation of communication protocols) according to the project;
- Creation of the Industry 4.0 platform according to the executed project;
- Test of the prototype by simulating ordinary working cycles on the machine;
- Release of the executive engineering design of the solution through which Baruffaldi will be able to activate the industrialization process.
Project co-financed by the Emilia-Romagna Region under Action 1.1.2. of POR FESR 2014-2020, Call for “Innovation projects and product or service diversification for SMEs – 2019” (approved with DGR 1266/2019).
Project code: E35F19003300009
Period: April 2020 – February 2021
Project budget: € 80.000
Regional contribution: € 40.000