During 2020 Baruffaldi – Primac participated in the project co-financed by the Emilia-Romagna Region for the construction of a prototype Industry 4.0 platform solution, to be implemented on its machines. The platform is able to activate a new range of services for the customer, such as remote monitoring of the machine, analysis and supervision of production data, thus also making it possible to install and maintain the machines remotely. In addition, the increasing digitization and interconnection allow the collection of a huge amount of data that can contribute to the optimization of the production lines performance, more and more sophisticated and customized.
To realize the platform it has been necessary to:
- Design and implement a system applicable to machines for the transmission of machine data according to standard industrial protocols;
- Design and implement an Industry 4.0 platform capable of communicating with the machine through the standard industrial protocols;
- Implement the designed system through a gradual process that allows to reconcile the investment capabilities and the management of the organizational impact resulting from its introduction.
The activities carried out were the following:
- Analysis of the state of the art of Baruffaldi machines, of the business model and objectives (4.0 services, market, technologies, etc.), identifying an implementation priority;
- Study of the architecture of a modular, flexible and scalable solution starting from the 4.0 service panel;
- Technological scouting to define the technologies (HW / SW on the machine, Industry 4.0 platform, corporate HW / SW infrastructure) capable of implementing this architecture;
- Prototype design capable of implementing the first level 4.0 services identified in the panel and allowing the subsequent gradual implementation of the remaining services;
- Identification of the most suitable Baruffaldi machine for the realization of the prototype;
- Creation of the machine side section of the platform (PLC configuration, HW integration on the machine, implementation of communication protocols) according to the project;
- Creation of the Industry 4.0 platform according to the executed project;
- Test of the prototype by simulating ordinary working cycles on the machine;
- Release of the executive engineering design of the solution through which Baruffaldi will be able to activate the industrialization process.
Project co-financed by the Emilia-Romagna Region under Action 1.1.2. of POR FESR 2014-2020, Call for “Innovation projects and product or service diversification for SMEs – 2019” (approved with DGR 1266/2019).
Project code: E35F19003300009
Period: April 2020 – February 2021
Project budget: € 80.000
Regional contribution: € 40.000